Friday, December 14, 2012

Although I am horrified by the school shooting in Connecticut, I cannot allow fear to take over. I'm not going to lie. I thought about going to get my daughter from school because I want to make sure she is safe with me. The reality is that the safest place for her right now is her school. I could pick her up early and get into a car accident because another scared parent on the way to get their child collides with me...

Living, functioning, operating from a place of fear does not help anyone unless you are in the midst of a life or death situation. Self-preservation is first and foremost, but I'm not talking about a response to the necessary and immediate preservation of life. I'm talking about living in a culture and environment of fear. Bad things happen. Evil sometimes seems to prevail, but what would the world be like if we continue to operate out of fear. We would have more preemptive strikes like the one our country took against Iraq...based on false information, of course, but fear-based. We would hurt others in anticipation that they would hurt us. We would avoid potentially meaningful connections out of fear of being hurt. We would close ourselves off from others. Maybe stay in our homes and not interact or talk to anyone. Much of what we do these days is fear-based. I'm not interested in that. I've committed operating from a place of love, not fear. I know that crazy exists in the world, but I have to keep living love. This incident could force us all into seclusion. I can't go back to fear...I can't walk that path. I don't want to go where it leads.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

< ? Blogs By Black Women # > Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.