Monday, June 13, 2005

Family

I was proud to see Michael Jackson's family standing with him throughout his trial to support him. As I looked at their faces as they left the court room after the verdict was read, i could see in their faces "He is our baby. Michael is our baby, our blood and we will stand with him and protect." The protection and comfort that they would provide to him would be emotional. No matter how old we get, a part of us always occupies the space/place/position we had as children within our families. As far as my mother (and many others) are concerned, I am still her baby. I know without a doubt that she will protect me until she has no more breath left in her.

After seeing their, the Jackson families, faces and their bodies as they left the court room, I can only imagine that after this ordeal that they have been through together they are at the Neverland Ranch praising God...crying, holding each other, praying, singing. There's no telling how much Michael's mother aged from worry during this trial. Regardless of the verdict, he's her baby, and he is the reason why the Jackson Family IS the Jackson Family.

I come from a very large and close extended family where my cousins are like my brothers and sisters. The men are men, and they aren't afraid to be emotional, cry and say "I love you." Every since I was a child my uncle Leo reminds me before we part "don't accept any wooden nickels". Throughout my entire life, my boyfriends were always respectfull, publicly and privately, because they knew that my family would protect me as much as they could from harm. Believe me...this made a difference...when others know that you are precious to someone and that those someones will go through any length to protect you.

The love of family is so very important in every stage of life. It's the place where our identity is formed. It's the place where we learn how to navigate and negotiate getting our needs met. It's where we learn attachment and communications skills and styles. Family keeps us grounded. Functional families validate us...It's our first audience. I've been placed to have a great audience to develop with. They've loved me, and first and foremost, I always want to make them proud.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

< ? Blogs By Black Women # > Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.