Thursday, May 19, 2005

Today a school bus backed into my car. I was trying to back up that it would not hit me, but I could only think of sounding the horn and rushing to back up without looking, in case someone was behind me. I felt like I froze up. Like I could have prevented it, but my body couldn't process everything that it needed to process without potentially causing another accident. My mood changed as soon as I heard the metal from the school bus folding the metal hood of my car. The driver never acknowledged that she had hit the car. She simply proceeded to park the bus. I realized that the only reason she stopped when she did was because she had backed up as far as she wanted to. Thank goodness she didn't need to go any further. My bumber might have been in my lap.

I usually try to shake the small things. The damage isn't that bad. But it is damaged. It's more of an inconvenience. But it could be worse. And it was what it was....a huge school bus moving toward me and I couldn't stop it. I'm thankfull it wasn't worser.

When we set out on our journey in the morning, we never factor in some of the things that happen to us throughout our day. The flat tires or died batteries that great us when we get to our cars. We never consider the telephone call that someone received informing them that a loved one is sick or dead or needs an operation immediately.

Now, I'm not totally bent out of shape like the hood of my car is. I am thinking about the incident though. I am thinking about how my mood changed after it happened. I wasn't way up high in mood, but I felt when it descending a little after the incident. I wasn't angry at the driver who said that might have been able to see me if my car was red and that she heard the horn blowing but kept backing up. I was a little ticked that she was oblivious to the whole situation that she was involved in. She was simply backing up; being courteous to another bus driver to let him pass by. After an hour and a half of sorting things out with her supervisor and the police, her last words, after I learned that I might have been spared the car damage if I had a red car, were "I'm sorry".

I'm thankfull that I'm not on the receiving end of tragic news. I'm thankfull that I'm okay. I'm thankfull that I have insurance to cover my needs. I'm thankfull that I could leave work early when I didn't feel like trying to convince myself to refocus my mind to write a report. I'm thankfull that all I want right now is to be still.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey, BG glad to hear that everything is ok! anyway again I wanted to thank you for your words, stay blessed!


Corvette

8:31 AM  
Blogger Blackgold said...

Thank you corvette.

9:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a harrowing experience, that busdriver sounds like a real jerk. It's good to know that you're alright,BG.

~MsAquarius

4:38 PM  
Blogger Blackgold said...

Thanks Ms.A :)

6:58 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Same thing happened to me...I panicked and couldn't find the horn or the gearshift...all the while screaming NOOOOO

12:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

< ? Blogs By Black Women # > Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.