Friday, May 06, 2005

Friday Thoughts

I am back at The Weekend! I have been working my behind off at work this week. I can't believe how hard I'm working. I'm actually surprising myself. I usually have a lot of built in chill time, but that's not the case this week. I've been trying to get most of the work done early so that i am ahead and not pressed for time. There were many nights last year that I stayed up late working on reports because I was majorly distracted. It was all good though. (I like green beans and hot sauce makes them spicy...don't ask. LOL)

I want to start practicing regularly on the drums. I talked with my neighbors on Wednesday and asked them how loud they were, and when is the best time to practice. I want to minimize disturbing them with my noise as much as possible. They have two small children, one of which is not one yet.

I need a good book to read. I have several new books but I can't get into them yet. One is called The Yoga of Time Travel. I have so many books that I haven't read yet. They are all here for a purpose. When the time is right I will have them at my finger tips. Rebecca Walker's Black, White and Jewish was one of those books. I purchased it several years ago. I glanced at it a couple of times, but I wasn't a place where I could read it. A few months ago I cracked it open and couldn't put it down. As I read it I heard her voice, or what my mind imagined that it would sound like, in my head. I don't think I would have appreciated it as much if I had forced myself to read it earlier. I am considering reading it again soon. It's one of those pieces, for me, that shines a light on a part of myself that I didn't know existed. A part of her story is my story and the story of so many others. It's honest. I think that's what I appreciated the most. It made me wanna be even more honest with myself.

I think everyone should tell their story. We ofttimes think that we aren't important if we aren't famous, or if we don't get fame, fortune and public recognition. That can't be farther from the truth. We as a human family have so much more in common than we think. We always feel so different (in a negative way) or odd. I am glad that no one is exactly like me, but I feel so good knowing that many are like me. I have learned that the more I get to know me, the more I challenge myself beyond my status quo, the more i know others. As I get to know my personal ins and outs, My light spaces and dark places, I am less like to judge another. I want love and acceptance for me so I have to offer it to others. I deserve it. We deserve it. I want to have room to be human, to learn, to succeed, to make mistakes, to love and to grow. I want to feel the spirit of another without pretense.

I want to learn myself, see myself, feel myself...the self I never knew before interact with different you's.

I attended an awards ceremony tonight for a loved one who received an award. Little things make a difference. I'm glad that I attended and showed my support. Presence makes a difference. Supporting others makes a difference. I'm glad I recognize that now.

People don't forget to dream. Always have something within yourself that you are working on. Not one of us has "arrive". Be loving toward yourself and watch what you say to yourself and others...you are planting seeds that will grow when watered with thoughts that nourish them.

What do you want to grow in the garden of your mind? Weeds... or SunFlowers that reach and stretch their faces and necks to the Sun? Be blessed because you are!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

< ? Blogs By Black Women # > Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.