Tuesday, April 26, 2005

I played the drumset today for the first time. It felt really good. I think I'm a natural. Seriously. I'm going to take my boom box upstairs and start playing with CDs and the radio. I'm thinking about taking formal classes...not sure though.

Today was a busy, busy, busy day at work. The day flew right by me. I did manage to get a lot done. I've started seeing more kids. It's great! Today a guidance counselor asked me "what is a dom?" I chuckled inside and aloud. I asked her why? She said that the student told her that she and another "dom' go out looking for girls to pick up. This is 8th grade. I had no awareness of what a "dom" was until last year. She said that the young lady is struggling with her sexuality. I'm glad I'm in a position to assist young people in understanding who they are. I do wish I had a magic wand. I'd wish that everything was perfect and that all the ills of society were healed and that there was no need for social workers or psychologists, but that's not reality. I hope to teach many to fish so that they can eat for a lifetime and not just for today.

So often it feels like we put band-aids on huge open wounds that require much more. I wish that all parents showed their children that they love them. I wished that all parents spent quality time with their children. I wish that parents not let their children leave their sight without knowing and feeling that they are wanted and valued.

In the last few days I have remembered what it feels like to be passionate about my work, aboutimproving the lives and conditions of children. I feel it again. It motivates me to keep doing what I'm doing. I am enjoying it too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

< ? Blogs By Black Women # > Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.