Saturday, April 16, 2005

"Walking in rhythm, moving in sound" ...That song was playing as I drove home this evening. I feel so blessed to have been born in 70. I got here just in time to be able to hear music that was really music. Right before "Walking in Rhythm" played, Aqua Boogie was blaring. It reminded me of times with my family, my extended family, which is as big as a P-Funk song is long. We, the children, ran around all day playing and laughing. Our parents were chilling, talking trash, drinking beer...and definitely listening to music. I miss being with the whole family. I miss having my own unique place in the family. After graduate school I stopped going around so often because I didn't know how to balance the clash of classes. My interests were no longer the same and I didn't quite know how to fit in. So, I drifted away to only come around every once in a while.

Today I miss my family so much. It has taken me years to realize that community is everything to me. I am a communal being. I need others. There are so many days when I am alone and it really gets to me sometimes. My immediate family is two hours away, which is nothing compared to folks whose loved ones are across the US or the globe. My only excuse is laziness, and liking my own space. I feel like such a visitor (logistically)when I visit. I prefer being at home in my own bed. The need to commune is becoming greater. I need to make a visit soon.

My brother will be in town this week. I'm looking forward to spending time with him. We are going to shop for my drum set this week. Yippee!!!!

1 Comments:

Blogger The Humanity Critic said...

Just passing through, cool blog by the way.

1:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

< ? Blogs By Black Women # > Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.