Sunday, November 21, 2004

November

Today is November 21st. Whew! That really blows my mind when I sit and think of that fact. Life's clock keeps ticking...... We can't push a pause button, but we can put things on hold by denying it our attention. Even though we put it in suspended animation in our minds, everything else keeps moving around...people, processes. When things show up in our lives seeking our attention, we should make the time to commune with it to understand why it has shown up at this time. When loneliness, sadness, anger, fear, or whatever it is the shows up, ask it "why are you here? What are you here to reveal to me?"

Next Thursday is Thanksgiving Day. In my family it has been a time to come together with family, eat, eat, eat and laugh and share. There have been occasions when I've wanted to stay home, not travel to where family is. It became days off from work...time to rest. I look forward to the days off.

I really feel uncomfortable saying holiday because it is short for "holy day". With the commercialization of everything and all things sacred/holy being taken OUT of our ways and means, holy-day doesn't seem appropriate. Other countries use the term "holiday", like we use vacation or break for travel. I would use the term in this context if this society was as Christianized and understood the context in which I said it.

Whatever the term, I truly enjoy days off from work when I don't have to take leave. It is important to ritualize our lives. It becomes easier when we have children, which I do not. But I still need to do more to ritualize my life on a daily basis.

Commitment...Purpose...I am going to reflect on those two words today. Peace

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

< ? Blogs By Black Women # > Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.