Wednesday, November 24, 2004

Black Friday

Usually everything associated with the word Black is negative when spoken in the context of American society. But I heard something the other day that got me to thinking. "Black Friday" is the term used for the Friday after Thanksgiving. It's Black Friday because businesses expect to make profits. Their numbers...profits are expected to be in the black (positive) and not the red (deficit/negative). Accountants are familiar with the black and red when using numbers and describing profits.

I just found it interesting that everything black in America is usually negative...blackmail, blackballed, black listed...

Athletes, entertainers...Black is good when it's associated with a profit.

I'm not shopping on Friday.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am going shopping on Friday....cannot pass up those deals! I have way too many Godkids, neices, nephews, cousins, and brothers....and other family and friends to buy for...I understand and respect your stance though.

Bean

8:01 PM  
Blogger Blackgold said...

If I give gifts this year, they will more than likely be hand-made or a book. I've never really been in to buying gifts for Christ-mass. Now I was definitely into receiving when I was a kid. I Can't front like I didn't!

10:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

< ? Blogs By Black Women # > Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.