Monday, January 02, 2006

Mad Hot Ballroom


I saw the cutest movie today. It was Mad Hot Ballroom, a documentary about 5th grade students in New York taking ballroom dance classes. They students were partneredwith each other male and female. If you've ever worked with or known 5th graders, you'd know that they aren't interested in gazing into each other's eyes or holding/touching each other for any period of time longer than it would take to hit someone.

The movie was funny and touching. To see the students take such an interest in a not so popular form of dance. It wasn't hip hop dancing. They were getting into the tango, the rumba, merengue, swing, and the fox-trot. I love to see the process of transformation right before my eyes. You could clearly see these kids go from "okay, this is a class" to "I wanna win the final city-wide competition". They really got into it. The camera followed the children between dance classes and competitions. They are so honest, so cute. There is one little boy, Wilson, oh Wilson... He's beautyfull!!!! BeautyFull!!! (He's dancing above.)

It's a cute movie... Go rent it. It reminded me that I wanted to take salsa lessons after returning from Miami this summer. I need to put that on my list of things to do again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

< ? Blogs By Black Women # > Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.