Friday, August 26, 2005

Friday, A Good Day

Can you feel the days grow shorter? Can you feel the Sun inching a little closer away? Maybe it's in my head...I've been on this academic calendar since I was born. September is the beginning of my year. January usually feels like my middle of the year. With the seasons there are always memories and remembrances of transitions. Comings and goings. I never really did well with change. Although it was my constant, I always felt a sense of insecurity, uneasiness, unsteadiness around this time. I have learned that the more stability I have in my internal world the less I am effected by the changes around me. This week, my last of four weeks off, I've spent the time organizing my things and creating the structure I require to do my job. It is a rarity, but I am looking forward to going to work and working with children, teachers, and families.

The ABPsi conference rejuvenated me again. Miami rejuvenated me. Getting married (yes, I married last Friday) has calmed me. I feel a sense of peace that I didn't know existed for me. Finally making a move, making the decision, and doing it freed up enough energy to power an large electrical device, ...me.

It's no fun being stuck. Limbo has it's purpose, but rarely is it a desired state. Rarely is it something we strive for unless the options that await us are hell vs. hell. As humans we often adapt and rationalize who, what and where we are. Sometimes you can't really say who you are until you can experience the absence of this state or that title. Moving on is liberating. Freeing ourselves of our burdens, real or imagined, is liberating.

You shall know them by their fruit. Remember, remember, remember that! Forget what they say. Pay attention to what they do! Expect the best from others, and don't be ashamed to let them know that you expect the best from them.

don Miguel Ruiz's words are always a great reminder to me. The Four Agreements...I love them. 1). Be Impeccable With Your Word. 2). DON'T TAKE ANYTHING PERSONALLY.
3). Don't Make Assumptions. 4). Always Do Your Best.

Allow others the room and space to be and show you who they are, and when they do show you by all means listen to them. Don't try to convince yourself that what you are seeing and experiencing isn't their truth at that moment in time. Accept what is, even if the what is is "not now". Confusing? maybe. Don't let it be...

Remember that everything that you give power to, you can take your power away from. Don't underestimate the power of your attention, your energy.

Remember that the Millions More Movement is not a march. A lot of people discuss it as if it is a march. Get more information from someone in your local area. If all else fails go to your local Nation of Islam mosque, or go to noi.org, or finalcall.com. Get the information for yourself, don't rely on another's interpretation of it.

Please read. READ. READ. READ. A couple of generations ago it was against the law for black people to learn to read in the United States. I read an excerpt from a friends speech, Dr. Na'im Akbar, posted on another site where he reminded his audience that black people were not meant to be more than slaves here in the United States.

We are what we are in the United States because our fore- mothers and fathers demanded equality. They fought for it. They died for it. The bled for it and shed tears for it. They were attacked by dogs, and had powerfull waterhoses sprayed on them. And all many of our children want to do today is rap, sing, dance, and play ball and video games.

Make reading a priority in your homes. You can't tell your children to read and you go off and do something other than read. They know you by your fruit, your actions, your manifestations. Read with your children. A counselor at one of my schools refers to it as DEAR time. Drop Everything And Read time. We have to make reading a priority. We have to write books that our children want to read. Let's work on that...me included. I'm thinking of volunteering my time to read with children...more on that later. We have adults, college students who don't read. It's not about the grade. Reading is key to our survival as a people, as a culture. Let's read things of substance. Fiction is okay. There is nothing wrong with fiction. But let's not forget our history, science, and other cultures of the world.

I've really been slacking in the exercise department. I have no justifiable excuse. I like being outside working in the yard, but there's only so much that can be done to a lawn (lol). Although, I sweat bullets when I'm out there. I need to go back out there and talk to my new grass that's growing. I want them to know that I am so happy to see them growing. i think my attention will help them feel welcomed and grow even more. Let's hope there's some truth in that. My lawn is healing. That's the nicest thing I can say about it right now.

Peace. Live well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

< ? Blogs By Black Women # > Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.