Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Family

I had a beautifull weekend with my family. I had the opportunity to spend time with my whole family...every member of the extended clan that came out to be a part of a family meeting that my cousin felt "lead" to convene following a family crisis. It was such a blessing to share with everyone. We prayed together, cried together, talked and listened to each/with each other. We started the process of dealing with our collective hurt, shame and disappointments as well as our growth, blessings and healing.

My grandmother, who is 92 years old was present with her 8 children. The youngest turned 51 yesterday. There were at least 70 adults and about 15 children present. A lot of people didn't show up because they feared that the energy of anger would take over and guide the meeting down a horrible path. But love and the positive vibes many of us brought with us prevailed. It was the first of hopefully many family meetings.

My family is so very important to me. I dropped off and away from family because I needed to know I needed to heal and get to know myself. I didn't feel like I fit in anymore...I feared that I couldn't relate to them anymore. I didn't want to deal with the discomfort of not being who they expected me to be 20 and 30 years ago. I have changed...so have many of them but we've never gotten to know who the other is now.

If people don't share their authentic selves with others, you never know who you are dealing with. It's hard to share when you don't fully understand the you that yourself. I finally gained the confidence to be myself instead of the "me" people knew as a child more and more. I've had the confidence because I've had the peace within. I've felt settled. I've faced fears and I've challenged myself to open up to others. It's hard to explain right now...Maybe it will be easier to articulate at another time.

Being grounded and centered is so very important. Family grounds me. I don't want to be away any longer. It's my responsibility to share myself with my family so that they will get to know the me that I am today. Not everyone will like us. Not everyone will understand us. In order to share ourselves and be confident in that sharing we must understand and like ourselves. Sometimes that's a daily task.

No one can make you act out of your character. The way we act is in us. Others my help us access parts of ourselves, but whatever comes out was there/ a part of us. No one makes us act a certain way.

Be the friend/family member/lover/spouse you want others to be to you. And I must heed my own words.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

< ? Blogs By Black Women # > Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.