Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Spirit Music Jamia...Meshell Ndegeocello

I just got in from seeing the Spirit Music Jamia featuring Meshell Ndegeocello. Joshua Redman also performed at the 9:30 Club tonight in Washington, DC. I've an appreciator of Meshell's music since the very beginning. I knew that she wouldn't perform music from her previous albums tonight, so the only expectation I had was to not hear any old stuff. I had not listened to the new album that was released today, yesterday...6/21/05. No bits or pieces of it...I just wanted to experience the unexpected and see how it resonated within.

Review...It was great! All the musicians were great! Chris Dave on Drums...I wanna be like him when I grow up. Everyone was great. I was really feeling the music. I'm the type of person who can stretch. I'm not stuck in a genre. Either I feel it or I don't regardless of the label that's been slapped on it. It is Spirit Music...You can travel inside with this music. Some people in the crowd kept hollering "sing". They didn't get the memo that it wasn't that type of party tonight.

I really appreciate Meshell as an artist and a person. While I don't know her personally, I can tell that she's private, she's shy, she's herself...being the best self that she can be on her journey. She inspires me to be ME, no one but me.

Tonight, I realized again that I want the real. No more virtual and fantasy island type bullsh*t. I want what's real in my life. I want that which sustains me.

My time on the internet has been an outward manifestation of the deep desire within me to commune and have connection. While virtual connections are fine and serve a purpose, they are very limiting. It's time to move on...to the real. For me real is flesh, blood, sweat and tears. It's dirt/soil...it has a smell, it has a name. It has a vibration...a pulse.

I know now without a doubt that I yearn for communion. I know now what I must do to have it in a way that feels right to me. I was open to the unexpected and I received more than I could have ever thought to ask for.

Nurture the real..."Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things."

g-nite

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

< ? Blogs By Black Women # > Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.