Thursday, February 17, 2005

Self Esteem

I had an epiphany this morning... I realized that I wasn't acknowledging feelings of anger, hurt and disappointment about a situation in my life. I tried to rationalize and excuse it away. I realized that it's okay to be hurt, to be angry and to be disappointmented. Even if it's not justified in my eyes or the eyes of another. I was feeling how I was feeling. That had to be acknowledged. It didn't matter if it made sense. I had to start where I was. When I did...when I spoke the truth the heaviness I felt lifted off of my shoulders. I told myself that I shouldn't feel the way I felt. I excused the persons behavior as "that's how she is. That's her."

Excusing a person's behavior that doesn't honor me allows me to stay locked in an emotional tango with the feelings and the person. I had to admit to myself that I didn't appreciate or like the way this person responds, treats or interacts with me. I can't excuse it anymore. I had to read the tell tale signs and say- 'yep, this is what this is and it doesn't honor me.' It's unacceptable!

Honoring ourselves by saying what is best for us and expecting the people we interact with to honor us in their words and deeds is key to building and maintaining positive self esteem/regard for self. (LAS-long a$$ sentence...i know)

My mom told me the other day that you have to let people know where you are coming from. She said when you don't let them know, when you don't tell or show them, or when you never take a clear position they will push limits and boundaries because they don't know. I have been stepping outside of my comfort zone. I have stopped concerning myself with hurting another because of my truth (how I feel). I do not seek to hurt others. It's not my nature. But I must speak my truth. Hiding our truth weighs down the spirit. It limits our capactity to soar and fly HIGH!

Speak your truth! Do no harm. Don't dump your stuff on others. And as Iyanla said "say no to what you don't want!" And take a chance and say yes to your heart's desires.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

< ? Blogs By Black Women # > Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.