Sunday, January 30, 2005

A Bright Star

Yesterday, my nephew started an enrichment program at the University of Virginia. It's a program for children with high abilities. He's in kindergarten! I'm so proud of the little guy. Hopefully, his interest in learning new things will stay with him throughout his life. So many young African-American males lose interest in academics after elementary school. The first classroom is the home. The responsibility for teaching children...a child's learning, especially children of color, cannot be left to the schools.

My brother told me that when they initially met with Tom's teacher after an assessment of his skills, the teacher asked who has been working with him. Tom's mom and dad pointed at each other, thinking that something was wrong. I could see the image reminiscent of a comedy routine in my head. They were proud to hear that their son was/is advanced in his skills.

I'm proud of my little brother and his family. His son is his "little dude". He gives him everything that he never received and more.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

*smiling*
-Stribbet

1:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's great to hear. Congratulations to your nephew.

CG

8:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

< ? Blogs By Black Women # > Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.