Thursday, December 09, 2004

Busy, Productive Week

This week has really gone by FAST. I have been busier than usual. Not busier because there is more work, but busier because I have been more committed to using the time at work to do actual work. I am enjoying it more because I am practicing presence. Staying in the moment and not allowing myself to be distracted by other things such as socializing. Of course, there are other things that we'd rather do besides work. But if I really expect to get a pay check every month, which I do, than I need to earn it. We get out, what we put in.

I realized that I was cheating my job by not being about there business for the hours that I was there. If I was in private practice and actually got paid for the amount of work I did on my job, I would be one broke sistah. I am remembering universal law. And doing unto others as I would want done to me. I am not saying that I will always work 8 FULL hours a day without any deviation. But I am saying that I will be more conscious of staying present and focused on the task at hand. Utilizing the time I have to accomplish tasks that are job related so that I don't have to bring stuff home and work during MY time. The bottom line is that the work has to get done. It always does. But I will never have job satisfaction if I am not present at my job.

We've got to pay our dues...put the time in and build the skills. I used to think that I could come right out of graduate school and be at the top of my game. I wanted to skip many, many levels. I realized early on that it didn't work that way. We are in a microwave society. We want every thing QUICK. The easier you obtain it the easier it is to lose it. As Prince sang, we have to be "willing to do the work". There are no short cuts in life. Longevity, sticking to it...practice...it all pays off. I am liking my job more because I am practicing presence. I have not been there wishing I was somewhere else this week.

I've put a lot of time, energy and practice in to what I do. I have been a social worker for a little over 12 years now. I have a career. I have a great deal of skill, knowledge and practice. I have not fully appreciated what I have and what I do. It is time that I did so more consistently.

This is sort of my confessional today. I have not been giving my all and have expected all my money. Yes, I have a lot of wiggle room. I can come and go as I please at my job. But that doesn't mean that I should take total advantage of it. Yes, there are times when things are so intense that I do need mental health, ME time. And I need to take it. It helps me do the job. But there are other times where I need to be more focus.

I realize that and I will. I want to be happier with my job. I have seen that I am when I put in what I want to get out. I feel a great sense of accomplishment when I complete a task. I feel great when I contribute to the well-being of a child or family. I down played what I do, partly because the gratification was immediate. Sometimes it's never there externally. But I am looking internally for that which I sought outside. I don't have much idle time anymore because I have filled it with work that I am supposed to be doing anyway. When I work I'm getting things done. When it gets done I feel less pressure. When I feel less pressure I am happy and I can relax and not think of what I have to do. It's a cycle that I have a direct impact on. We all have the ability to impact change in our lives. I gotta exercise it and stop waiting and seeeing what going to happen. Be the change I seek...I remember that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

< ? Blogs By Black Women # > Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.