Sunday, December 18, 2005

AP Wire | 12/18/2005 | Private funeral held for Richard Pryor

AP Wire | 12/18/2005 | Private funeral held for Richard Pryor: "Private funeral held for Richard Pryor
Associated Press

LOS ANGELES - A funeral service for comedian Richard Pryor included both laughter and tears Saturday, his fellow comics said.

'It was sad but joyous,' actor and comedian Mike Epps told reporters afterward. 'It was the way I think Richard would have loved it to be, you know. He would have loved to have seen the laughter and the pain also.'

Pryor, who battled multiple sclerosis for decades, died of a heart attack on Dec. 10 at his home. He was 65.

A private service for family and close friends was held at a chapel at a Hollywood Hills cemetery. A public memorial may be held in January.

KABC-TV reported that a video overview of Pryor's movie and stage performances was played during the service.

Singer Diana Ross, who wore black and a large hat with a huge black bow, contributed during singing of the hymn 'Amazing Grace.'

'I did hum a little,' she told KCAL-TV.

Ross appeared with Pryor in the movies 'The Wiz' and 'Lady Sings the Blues.'

Comedian George Lopez said Pryor 'meant everything to me.'

'He was the one person who filled my house with his voice and made me not feel lonely, and made me feel my life could be worth something and that my pain could be currency for laughs,' he said.

'There was a very intimate, very small and we all just got together and kissed him away,' comedian Monique said. 'See you later Richard, see you when we get there.'

'But don't call me no time soon, um-um,' she joked."
Link

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

< ? Blogs By Black Women # > Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.