Thursday, November 17, 2005

Random Thoughts...Faith...Maybe?

It's been a while since I've written anything that felt like a cathartic release. Lately, I've been more than attempting to be present in whatever I am doing while I am doing it. It seems like such an easy thing to do, but it's not. The mind goes all over the place. Emotions take us places. Our senses of sight, sound, smell and touch take us to even more places, and before we know it we are in our very own custom-made time machine...all while standing still we travel to, from and back to the future. Virtual reality, holodecks...science fiction huh? What makes something real? How many reals can there be? My real and your real are not always the same but does one cancel out the other, or can both exist on their own without the confirmation or validation from the other?...Let me get out of my head and into my heart!

This week I found myself to be more present than I've been in a while. I must say that this has been one of my most productive weeks at work. The more I allowed myself to focus on one task at a time, the more work I actually got done. I left for the day feeling that I did my best and gave my all.

I've been doing a 9 minute yoga workout in the mornings and afternoons. The stretching and breathing allows me to disconnect my thinking brain. My thinking brain takes me all over the place. So many places that I am exhausted from all the travel. The yoga helps me feel centered and grounded. I find that committing myself and following through with 9 minutes of yoga is better than starting and stopping 30 minutes of yoga. I am creating a healthy habit, and doing away with the habit to think constantly and travel where ever my my takes me. Sometimes we need to take our behinds where we want our minds to follow, said the wise doctor (not me).

There is so much tension around me sometimes that I find it difficult to not react and respond to it. It's hard even when I don't want to. I am growing weary of conflicts all around me. The universe is full of opposites, opposing forces and opposition. How does one stay harmonious in the midst of chaos? I do not know the answer in total practice. A part of it is strength, fortification- what are we putting in us and how does it strengthen us mentally, physically and spiritually. I can weather many storms when I'm fortified. Sometimes, like the levees of New Orleans, we have fortified ourselves enough to withstand a category 2 or 3 storm, and a Category 4 or 5 shows up. The storm exposes the weakness and allows us to fortify and strengthen the damaged, weak areas of the levee. Knowing ourselves enough...paying enough attention to ourselves to know when and wear we are weak is an important part of our strength. Knowing that we can only withstand a a certain category storm is nice to know. But that alone won't prevent a wipe-out when the waters, the trials, the challenges come. The thing that helps us is protection... What helps us is the action that facilitates the protection. I always say that "faith without works is dead". faith-work= death. What good is faith without action? Faith-in-action! I try to remember that my faith is not a noun, it's a verb. So that requires that I change my mind when my thoughts don't support the reality that I am, or want to affirm. My faith-in action requires that I walk in darkness even when my brain tells me "hey, we need light!" Night and day reminds us that light isn't always a part of our physical perception. There isn't information or research that supports our knowing but we must take steps without the confirmation, or the knowing that there is ground beneath our feet.

I love the movie Forrest Gump. Forrest Gump was not the brightest light bulb in the lamp, but Forrest Gump did what he was told, not to much more or less. When danger came, Jenny said "Run, Forrest, Run!" Forrest ran without thinking about "Why?" He just ran. Running saved his bottom from many a bruises. Forrest had faith-in-action. He didn't think enough to talk himself out of it. He took things literally. Why do I mention this? Because today we have so many instructions, so many beliefs that we say we believe and follow, but we question them and talk ourselves out of it. Fear kicks in, up, out...and we get paralyzed. We say we have faith, but it is without action. Sometimes our faith in action requires us to stand and be still especially when we are used to running, ducking, dodging, avoiding and fleeing the scene when the going gets tough.
Forrest had faith that running would save him. So, when Jenny left him he ran across the U.S. a couple of times until he felt it was okay.

Our faith tells us to trust God/Creator/Universal Life Force. Our faith tells us to trust universal laws. Whatever our belief we have to develop trust in it. We have to have faith in it. In order to develop trust and faith in something we have to try it...we have to test it. Faith is not a spectator sport. Remember it is a verb- action. Faith is a contact sport. We may not see the results in the time frame that we designate, but the result is the result. If I can't see it, does that make it un-real? Does our expectation become the manifestation? Yes. Yes. Yes, it does. A mother said to me that her daughter was ugly and that's what the mother saw. I made my mind up that she was beautifull and that's what I saw. Both realities were real.

Faith is walking even when you don't know that there is ground beneath your feet. You expect the ground to be there...You expect the universe to provide... you expect for God to carry you. And you trust it because you tried it and it was so.

Don't expect what you don't want. Expect what you want to manifest. Expect what you want to be. Expect the best out of others and you will see the best in them. you will nurture the best in them. They will start to show you the best if you expect it. But if every man and woman is "a no good, lazy dog", guess what will be sitting at your door step and around every corner?

Honestly, I don't know where I'm going with this post. It is what it is.

Iyanla coined it with "Acts of Faith".

Maybe the point is not to engage in acts of doubt or acts of fear. Maybe the point is to know that we determine what's really real... No one else but us.

Maybe the point is to know our levee system. Maybe the point is to know where and how we need to fortify ourselves. Maybe the point is to know what category storm we can handle at our current state of functioning. Maybe the point is to watch Forrest Gump again because Tom Hanks was really good in that role. Maybe the point is to just release some words as they flow to and through us. Maybe the reader makes it what it is and it's out of my control. Maybe I went back to speaking from my head and not my heart...maybe not.

Maybe the point is that Faith is not a "maybe". It is! And with that I close.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

< ? Blogs By Black Women # > Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.