Saturday, April 14, 2007

Black Leaders (and other thoughts)

I want to know how a "black leader" is selected and who does the selecting? If there was a meeting and election, then I didn't get the memo. Who do I write or call to get put on the mailing list? Which website do I go to register for the black leader election? Why is a black leader necessary? Is it because issues impacting the black community aren't represented by local, state and federally elected officials? Why do I need a separate leader? It does seem to be necessary though. When blacks are incarcerated at rates much higher than whites...when literacy rates differ between blacks and whites, when blacks are over represented in special education, when studies show that discrimination exists in the health care system... Just about everything negative disproportionately impacts the black people in America when compared to white people.

Today, the media selects and appoints so-called black leaders. They put the camera in the faces of a few when they decide to discuss a "black" issue...as if black people are not a part of America. AND THEN, AND THEN...they tear them down. America didn't love Malcolm and Martin when they were alive. It was only years after their assassinations that they became "mainstream" and accepted by America. They were black champions who fought for the rights of oppressed people. This was NOT that long ago.

It seems that if we don't discuss racism, it no longer exists. But the pain of racism and white supremacy IS real. Many white Americans believe that Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson "keep things going" and incite racial issues. White Americans don't know that many black Americans carry this pain with them day in and day out...under the surface. It doesn't take much to bring it to the surface because it's hard to heal when the disease has not been eradicated. It's hard to heal when you cannot even acknowledge a hurt or a wrong.

People had to endure so much...they had to die just so that I could get a legal education. It was against the law for my great grandmother to learn to read in the United States. Not my great, great, great, great grandmother... my great grandmother. Besides the CONTINENT of Africa, I do not know where my ancestors came from. This pains me. I don't lose sleep over it because I don't spend a lot of time thinking about it. I would be too depressed and I have other things to do. I, We, have to keep on moving. But that doesn't mean that it's not a part of my make up, my history, my collective experience. Like arthritis or an old knee injury, it flares up from time to time. Things happen and I'm forced to look at it even when I don't choose to.

If the microphone and camera only gets passed to Jesse and Al, then I guess that's why people go to them when they need media attention.

Will White Americans accept the democratically "elected" black leader, or will white America refuse to deal with the elected official if she or he isn't APPROVED by white Americans? The situation for people of color is bad across the board. That suggests that our elected officials are not doing the job to effect change for people of color. Everyone else has to pull themselves up by the bootstraps, but white people have the benefit of government looking out for their best interest. Their issues are the same because they dictate what the issues are. Am I suggesting that black people have no responsibility for themselves? No I AM NOT!!!! But the whole game has been set up for white people to have the advantage, to have the privilege in this country and throughout the world. The rule of law was for black folks to be subordinate to whites. While that is no longer the case legally, it is the practice institutionally. White people do not want to give up their position of privilege. They share crumbs with minorities, but they are still crumbs.

I was watching Roots today...it's actually on right now. The black people in the film, the slaves, were referred to as Niggers, and the Black people, slaves, referred to each other as Niggers. They was the vocabulary, the description of themselves, given to them by their slave masters, the white men. The whole society was set up in this way. The laws were written to make it legal and institutionalize it. It was the code. White and black people referring to black people as niggers. I was like - wow! Some black people still call each other Nigger. Some white people still refer to black people as Nigger. It's not socially acceptable today for whites to call blacks nigger even if some call themselves that. It brings all of the stuff related to slavery back to the surface and again, it's NOT hard to do.

African's were brought to America and BROKEN!!! They became slaves. They became niggers. The fear of death was instilled in them in order to maintain their subordinate place as slave (black) to their slave master (white). While laws have changed, we have not done the psychological healing necessary to really free ourselves from this paradigm of existence. It's hard to heal when you aren't allow the right to acknowledge the hurt and the cause of that hurt. Black people are always expected to get over it, but again the paradigm, the society we live in is a reminder on a daily basis.

Why isn't there a black face on any United States currency? Why are there no black monuments on the mall? White people have all of these symbols of their power all around them to boost their collective esteem. Aside from a few sentences and chapters on slavery, you would believe that black people did not contribute anything to this country.

We have to heal. Black people have to heal. America has to deal with the issue of racism in America, but if we did that in a way that effects healing for all white people would have to share and in doing so give up some of their power. I don't believe that that will happen willing. It's naive that think that it will after history suggest that people have to die before civil right advancement can occur. Since many of us aren't in a hurry to die, we maintain the status quo...The lopsided scale with people of color on the bottom.

Things are changing though. I can't deny that. Dick Gregory always says "pray that the truth comes out", And damn if it doesn't!!! We keep seeing it with the current Bush Administration. Things get revealed. The stars line up like they did with Mr. Imus.

I am thankful that things transpired the way that they did last week. I've been unfairly, but legally fired from a job before. YOU CAN BOUNCE BACK AND THINGS TURN OUT BETTER THAN THEY WERE. It turned out to be a blessing. I hope that Mr. Imus takes the lemons and make lemonade. He has enough money to be alright for a while though. I didn't have that. I had to examine myself and be honest with myself about my contribution to the situation. It didn't feel like it at the time, but you know what they say about hindsight!

Back to why I am thankful that things happened the way that they did last week. I am thankful because we are talking to each other about difficult issues that impact and cripple our society. Some of us are recommitting ourselves to cleaning up our act. We are committing ourselves to action.

People need alternatives. What are the conditions that create a culture that glorifies violence, racism and sexism? Why is rapping and booty shaking seen as the only way to make it in life for some? Is rap a better alternative to jail? They don't seem to be mutually exclusive these days for some. What are the alternatives for youth of color in American society? It really feels that there is a ceiling for people, unless you bind and shape shift and become something that you are not. In order to gain access to institutions, you have to become more like the dominant culture. Hip hop is an arena where people can be themselves, whatever you are! A higher standard has to come from within. It cannot be imposed on people. People have to want to ascribe to it. HOW, WHO will inspire them to reach a higher bar in such a way that they can maintain who they are as people. Not white people painted black, but black, red and brown Americans coexisting with whites. People want to define themselves.

The educational system in American only reinforces the status quo. It only maintains white privilege. Those who are willing to shape shift and play the game can participate, but that takes a serious toll on you. Believe me. I know.

I'm just skimming the surface on a whole lot of issues, but it's all what I'm thinking and feeling tonight.

And now, I gotta go to bed because the baby can wake up at any minute and I will have missed my opportunity to recharge.

Be well. Let's pray that the truth comes out. Let's pray for true equality. Let's uplift each other.


Peace

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

< ? Blogs By Black Women # > Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.