Friday, October 28, 2005

Movies/Weekend

I saw two good videos this week, Robots and Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants. Robots was cute. I love animated movies. They help me relax. I think the vibrant colors help me in some way. The themes are usually light. They provide an opportunity to veg out after a long, stressfull day.

Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants made me cry...not that that's difficult to do. It was a really good story. I love the little girl in the movie. I first saw her in Dickie Roberts. In Sisterhood her situation made her wise beyond her years. I won't give it away. :)

I've renting Motorcycle Diaries about two times previously, and I haven't seen it yet. I have it again, hopefully to check out tomorrow or Sunday.

I haven't been to the movie theatre in a long time. I couldn't tell you the last movie I saw in the theatre. Okay, maybe I could if I thought about it really hard. I hope that it wasn't Hustle and Flow. That would have been a really long time ago. My last theatre movie was probably during the summer.

Thank God today is Friday, my weekly holy day. I don't know what I plan to do this weekend. Rosa Parks will "lie in honor" at the Capitol Sunday night and Monday. She is the first woman to hold such an honor. I may go to pay my respects to the woman who became an icon for the civil rights movement, a movement which set the wheels in motion to change the world. We have come a long way, but in the words of Robert Frost we still have "miles to go before I sleep". Or maybe before "we" sleep.

We can't buy into the perception that we can't make a difference. I sometimes think about the unjust war in Iraq and feel powerless in changing things. That's is not the truth. We do have power to change things. Stop watching television...it reinforces the notion that the people are powerless. In fact they feed it to you constantly. We have the power. We have to use it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

< ? Blogs By Black Women # > Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.